Copyright © Françoise Herrmann
This year... International Women’s Day calls for Action! The theme is “Make it happen!”
Below, the Make it Happen platform, extracted from the IWD hub:
- For greater awareness of women’s equality
- For more women in senior leadership roles
- For equal recognition of women in the arts
- For growth of women-owned businesses
- For increased financial independence of women
- For more women in science, technology and engineering
- For fairer recognition of women in sport
Commemorating the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action adopted at the conclusion of the Fourth World Conference on Women, in 1995 , the UN is taking stock on 20 years passed since the agenda for women's rights was set in Beijing by 189 countries.
In 2015, the UN call is to "Step it up!". Much has changed in 20 years, particularly in the areas of access to primary education, the reduction of some of the world's maternal mortality, access to more sanitation, and government endorsement of women's rights. But for Planet 50/50 to become a reality, before 2030, much more needs to be achieved.
Below, UN Women Executive Director Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, calling for "Planet 50/50 by 2030"!
Happy International Women's Day to you all, and to all the women in your lives!
International Women's day
UN International Women's Day
UN - Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action - Beijing +5