Copyright © Françoise Herrmann
How about drinking wine from a bottle without uncorking it? Coravin™ makes it possible for you to have both your uncorked bottle of wine and a drink!
Coravin™ is a wine extractor device designed to insert a hollow needle through the cork, and through which the wine can be poured. Little or no air, which could react with the wine, is introduced during or after the extraction of the wine from its container. Instead, a small amount of pressurized argon gas is released into the bottle to force the wine out, without altering the quality of the beverage. When the needle is removed from the bottle, the cork's expansive properties fill-in, and reseal, the wine bottle, until the next glass, or next time you drink the wine.
The many parts of the various embodiments of the Coravin™ wine extractor are patented. Whether it is the needle system and its actuation, the internal valve system controlling the flow of the wine from the container, the gas cylinder and dispenser, the pressure regulator for the delivery of gas to the container, or the casing guiding the movement of the needle, these are all different inventions associated with the Coravin™ wine extractor and its various embodiments. The following is a hyperlinked list of some of the many design and utility patents reciting these inventions, associated with the Coravin™ device, and numerous component parts.
- US2017361999 (A1) ― 2017-12-21 - Beverage container cap for use with beverage extractor
- USD801129 (S) ― 2017-10-31 - Beverage extractor
- ES2633844 (T3) ― 2017-09-25 - Method and apparatus for beverage extraction with a multi-function valve
- US2017144877 (A1) ― 2017-05-25 - Beverage extractor with controller
- US2017137275 (A1) ― 2017-05-18 - Beverage extractor for sparkling beverage
- US2017001850 (A1) ― 2017-01-05 - Method for extracting beverage from a bottle
- US2017002980 (A1) ― 2017-01-05 - Engagement of gas cylinder with gas dispenser
- WO2014058841 (A1) ― 2014-04-17 - Method and apparatus for beverage extraction needle guiding
- WO2014058839 (A3) ― 2014-06-05 - Method and apparatus for gas cylinder sealing
- WO2014025630 (A1) ― 2014-02-13 - Method and apparatus for gas cylinder sealing
- WO2013166258 (A1) ― 2013-11-07 - Device for extracting a beverage from within a container
- USD755554 (S) ― 2016-05-10 - Beverage extractor
- US2015069085 (A1) ― 2015-03-12 - Wine extraction and preservation device and method
- CA2872115 ― 2013-11-07 - Device for extracting a beverage from within a container
- CA2887453 ― 2013-10-08 - Method and apparatus for beverage extraction needle guiding
- USD709163 (S) ― 2014-07-15 - Gas cylinder cap
- US2014124530 (A1) ― 2014-05-08 - Method and apparatus for beverage extraction needle force indication
- US2014103065 (A1) ― 2014-04-17 - Non-coring reduced shearing needle
- USD689353 (S) ― 2013-09-10 - Wine extraction and preservation device
A drawing of the beverage extractor, imported from the latest US design patent USD 801129S, is included below, together with an image of the marketed Coravin™ product.
The abstract for the latest Coravin™ utility patent application US2017361999, titled Beverage container cap for use with beverage extractor, is also included below:
A cap for engagement with a beverage container allows an extractor needle or other conduit to pass through a portion of the cap such that beverage can be removed from the container without removing the cap. The cap may include a septum that is radially and/or axially compressed and a barrier layer arranged to engage with the container to form a seal.
An automated and Bluetooth™-connected version of the Coravin™ called Model Eleven, was unveiled at CES 2018 with rave reviews. The Coravin™ connected app monitors argon gas consumption and also pairs your wine with your mood...! According to CNet, Model Eleven will be released in September 2018.