Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Terminology - Hazmat suit (combinaison de protection)

Copyright  © Françoise Herrmann

No eponyms in sight for hazmat suits. 

According to Merriam-Webster, the term hazmat is an acronym, consisting of the first three letters of two words hazard and materials, resulting in the compounded noun hazmat. A noun that is actually used attributively with other nouns. Thus, you will see the terms: hazmat suit, hazmat gloves, hazmat masks, hazmat gear etc. According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), the term hazmat is chiefly used in the US, where it also originated, in the 1980s.

Hazmat gear is considered Personal Protection Equipment (PPE), alternatively Personal Protection Technology (PPT). Use, selection, types and levels of PPE are summarized at the US Department of Health and Human Services (USDHHS) pages, on Chemical Hazards Emergency Medical Management

The CDC National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) pages, dedicated to PPE, offer additional information, in particular for hazmat suits, under Protective Clothing and Ensembles.

Below, members of the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, adapting to the new socially distant reality of working together, celebrating the year of Beethoven's 250th anniversary with The Ode to Joy


 From us, for you - March 20, 2020
References
Merrriam-Webster - hazmat
CDC – NIOSH - Personal Protect Equipment (PPE)
CDC – NIOSH - Protective Clothing and Ensembles
USDHHS – Chemical Hazards Emergency Medical Management - Personal Protect Equipement (PPE)

1 comment:

Tucker Conrad said...

A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542