In Lisbon, Portugal, on June 9, 2016, this day, the EPO announced the winners of the European inventor awards in all five categories plus the popular award. Three finalists were competing in each of the five competition categories and all the finalists were eligible for the popular prize.
The list of winners is the following:
- Industry category Bernhard Gleich, Jürgen Weizenecker and team (German) for Magnetic Particle Imagery (MPI)
- Research category: Alim-Louis Benabid (French) for a treatment for Parkinson's disease
- Small and Medium Enterprises category: Tue Johannessen, Ulrich Quaade, Claus Hviid Christensen, Jens Kehlet Nørskov (Danish) for Ammonia storage to reduce NOx (nitrogen oxide) emissions and for cleaner air in cities.
- Lifetime Achievement category: Anton van Zanten (Dutch/German) Electronic stability control for cars
- Non-European Patent Organization Country category: Robert Langer (USA) for targeted anticancer drugs
- Popular award: Dr. Helen Lee (England/France) for point-of-care diagnostics in the real world.----------
NB: The winning inventions not only satisfied the criteria of patentability, but also those of an EPO award. Indeed the European Inventor awards further celebrate the significant social and economic impact of the imventions.
Congratulations to everyone! 👠
References2016 European Patent Inventor Award winners