Sunday, February 23, 2020

Oh, patents! LifeStraw® personal water filter (1)

Copyright © Françoise Herrman

The Lifestraw® personal water filtering system, now a company brand in the outdoor adventure and expedition sector, is the retail offshoot of the much larger Vestergaard humanitarian enterprise. A company working in partnership, since 1994, with the Carter Center for Peace and Health Programs, developing filtration systems within the context of the campaign for eradication of Guinea Worm Disease, and other humanitarian products, such as, for example, the PermaNet®a long-lasting insecticidal net for the prevention of malaria

The Lifestraw® personal filtering system is equipped with a microporous membrane (0.2 micron pore size) that removes 99.999999% (log 8) of bacteria (e.g., Escherichia coli, Vibrio cholera, and Salmonella Typhi); 99.999% (log 5) of parasites (e.g., Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium parvum); and 99.999% (log 5) of microplastics and turbidity. The Lifestraw® has an unlimited shelf life. Once opened, it filters about 1000 liters of water, which is enough water, for a single individual, for 5 years.

The ornamental design of the original straw filter is patented in the US design patent USD782610S1, titled Water purifier.  As a reminder: “a utility patent” protects the way an article is used and works (35 U.S.C. 101), while a “design patent” protects the way an article looks (35 U.S.C. 171) [MPEP Chapt. 1502.01; [R-07.2015]].

The patent Figure 3, showing a side view of the Lifestraw® water purifier, is included below, together with an image of the marketed personal water purification Lifestraw®.



Reference
LifeStraw®
MPEP – Chapt. 1502-01 – Distinction between design and utility patent
The Carter Center
The Carter Center – Guinea Worm Disease Campaign
Vestergaard

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do this hack to drop 2lb of fat in 8 hours

Over 160,000 women and men are trying a easy and SECRET "liquids hack" to burn 2lbs each and every night as they sleep.

It's easy and works with everybody.

This is how to do it yourself:

1) Grab a clear glass and fill it with water half full

2) Now use this awesome hack

you'll become 2lbs thinner as soon as tomorrow!

Tucker Conrad said...

A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com
Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542