Friday, February 14, 2020

VDay 2020


Copyright © Françoise Herrmann



Today is VDay, a global activist movement to end violence against women and girls, targeting rape, incest, female genital mutilation (FGM), and sex slavery. The February 14 re-interpretation of Valentine’s Day arises out of Eve Ensler’s famous play The Vagina Monologues. A play, which tells the story of one woman refugee, and through her, all the women in Bosnia and Kosovo, 27,000 of which were raped as a war tactic, in connection to the events surrounding the March 5-1998- June 11, 1999, Kosovo (former part of Yugoslavia) War, in Central Europe.

The Vagina Monologues play opened in NYC, in 1996. On VDay 1998, the play raised 250,000 dollars in a single benefit evening, which funded the VDay nonprofit organization. The rest is history. More than 100 million dollars have been raised for this cause. The Vagina Monologues, and spinoff versions, are performed each year, in celebration of Vday, on campuses worldwide, including here at SJSU.

 The organization One Billion Rising, founded in 2012 to the beat of the song and dance Break the Chain, represents the one billion women (1 in 3) who experience violence worldwide, during their lifetime.

The City of Hope, a sanctuary funded by the Vday nonprofit organization, opened in Bukaru, Democratic Republic of Congo, for women survivors of violence. A sanctuary, which is the topic of the Netflix documentary, The City of Hope
  
Tune in and rise! Happy VDay to all!

References
Eve Ensler
The Vagina Monologues (SJSU Shows & Benefit)
Vday 2020 (Splash page)
VDay (website)
One Billion Rising
City of Joy in Bukavu, Democratic Republic of Congo (Splash page)
CityofJoy.org (website)
City of Joy (Official Trailer for the Netflix documentary 2016)
Rise 2018

1 comment:

Tucker Conrad said...

A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com
Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542